Saturday, August 18, 2012

Why Google's New Approach to Copyright Violation Matters | ThinkProgress


Why Google's New Approach to Copyright Violation Matters

 Now, that's what I'm talkin' about! Google announced last week that its search algorithm will begin downgrading the search rankings of sites that have been hit with numerous claims that they’re violating copyright. I say "Go for it!

I can't tell you how often I find my work copied word for word on someone else's website, Facebook, or board, stealing my work and my income. Just this week I found an article I wrote about B12 shots for dogs printed word for word in a Pap Rescue newsletter, complete with a photo of me and my two dogs and some text I later edited out. This organization did not ask me if they could use my article and photo, nor was I paid for my work. In fact, by publishing this article in their newsletter, this organization reached into my pocket and stole my income. They also violated my agreement with the website that did pay me for the article that I would not publish this article elsewhere.

Here is my original article:

As the writer says in this ThinkProgress article:
a focus on incentives, and on driving users to licit, quality streams of content, is where this debate should be.

Read the article at: Why Google's New Approach to Copyright Violation Matters | ThinkProgress

No comments: